You can either renew your driver’s license online or offline, depending on what works best for you. The offline application process requires that you visit a DTLC with the following documents:
- Identity document or anything that identifies you. • Old driving license.
• Four black and white passport photographs.
• Proof of residence.
- Application fee.
When you have all these documents ready, here is what to do:
- Visit the nearest DLTC.
- Complete the renewal of driving license form: form DL1.
- Complete the notification change of address or particulars of person or organization form.
- Conduct an eye test with an optometrist of your choice and take the result back to DLTC.
Residents of Gauteng should book a renewal application online at the eNaTIS website. Also, the cost of renewal will be communicated to you by your local licensing office.
How To Renew Your Driver’s License Online
With the help of Renew Online and some other websites and platforms of the like, it is now possible to renew your driving license from the comfort of your home. Here is how the process works:
- Visit the Renew Online website.
- If you already have an account, then log in with your email address and password.
- For those who do not have an account, click on the ‘Register Now’ text.
- Enter a username, your email address, and create a password.
- Accept the terms and conditions.
- Click on the ‘Submit’ button.
- Tap the ‘OK’ button on the box that will pop up on your screen.
- If you are renewing your driving license for a company, click on the ‘Company Box.’
- Click on login, and enter your username and password.
- Complete your user profile and click on ‘Save.’
- On the left sidebar, click on the ‘Vehicle’ tab.
- Click on ‘Add Vehicle.’
- A form will be displayed on your screen; fill the form and click on ‘Save.’
- At the left sidebar, click on ‘Renew my License.’
- Tick the ‘Select’ box.
- Click on the red ‘Renew.’
- Complete the form that pops up and click on ‘Continue.’
- The renewal price will be displayed on your screen.
- If you wish to cancel the process, click on ‘Cancel Renewal.’
- If you wish to proceed with making payments, then pay via EFT or Sagepay.
- Immediately your payment is confirmed, the renewal process will begin.
- In 72 hours, barring any irregularities with the process or information you supplied, the renewal would be complete.
- Once the renewal is complete, a new license disc will be delivered to you.
If renewing your driver’s license online is a big ask for you, it is still possible to renew your driving license at malls like Pick n Pay, PostNet outlets, Safari Outdoor branches, Family Pet Centre.
How Do I Renew My Driver’s License From Outside South Africa?
Normally, the thing to do would be to apply for the Credit Card Format (CCF) driver’s license if you are not in South Africa. However, the service is not available as of the time of this writing. This means the only option you have is doing so at a driving license testing center. If your driver’s license needs to be renewed and you are outside South Africa, here is what you should do:
- Fill the DL1 application form.
• Provide your ID.
• Provide four copies of passport photographs.
Since you may not be able to visit a DLTC yourself, you can send someone – a representative – to go on your behalf. Your representative should go with the following:
- His/her identity document or any means of identification.
- An affidavit stating why you cannot come in person and that you have permitted
them to act on your behalf.
- Your own documents – those that have been listed above.
The renewal fee will be communicated to you by the local licensing office.
How You Can Renew Your Driver’s License If You Don’t Want To Do It Online
If you do not buy the idea of renewing your license online, here is a list of other places you can go to get it done:
- Driving Licensing Testing Centre (DLTC) • South African Post Office (SAPO)
• Any Pick ‘n Pay outlet
• Safari Outdoor branches
- Family Pet Center